25 February 2011

It's Rodeo time

This weekend is the start of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The bbq cook-off is what gets it started and my hubs and I couldn't be more excited. The rodeo was a huge part of my life growing up so I am ready to be a part of it again. We are heading out with the little man on Saturday to see the sites and enjoy some bbq.

This is not your ordinary rodeo, this is the world's largest livestock exhibition and one of the best ways to experience Houston. Not only does the community get involved by volunteering on different committees (shout out to the Rabbit Committee), Rodeo Houston is the opportunity for young people to receive scholarships and further education. This year it starts March 1 and runs through March 20. Check out their website hlsr.com for a lot more that I didn't mention and see the line-up of country artist coming this year, I'm going to Rascal Flatts!

In honor of the rodeo I wanted to share the delicious pulled pork my hubs made this past weekend. Since we have lived in Texas he has been missing his beloved pulled pork bbq from Alabama and has been wanting to make some himself. I must say, it was so delicious and I am super impressed with his bbq skills. Here is a step by step of what he did...

1 :: brine overnight


2 :: add the rub


3 :: smoke on the pit for hours


4 :: pull the pork


5 :: eat!


Way to go Daniel, it was awesome and I am looking forward to many more of you pulled pork sandwiches. I hope yall have a great weekend... I know I will!

No comments: