23 February 2011

organic gardening

So I have decided that I want to give gardening a whirl. Will it happen this season? I'm not sure but that's the plan. There seem to be a few options and strategies to gardening and I found a few websites that were helpful for me. Burpee is a great place to purchase seeds [burpee.com] and Organic Gardening.com is a great place to learn how to get started and explains all of the important details you need to know [organicgardening.com].

After doing some research I decided that raised beds would be the best because if you want it to be organic your yard can't be fertilized for quit some time and since I have no idea what happened in our yard before we got here, this seems to be the best. Also, raised beds are suppose to yield twice more than a regular bed and they look pretty too!

Here are some images of some pretty raised beds...

[via beekman1802.com]

I would just love if my raised beds could anything like these. So what I would love to grow lots of herbs, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, corn, cucumbers, onions, and possibly strawberries and watermelons. There is a large "to do" list when you are first starting out and it can be a bit costly, especially when you are wanting to garden to save a little bit of green!

If you have a green thumb and have some tips I would love to know them. Hopefully I will get this started and let you know of the progress. Also, I have almost finished Melah's quilt so get excited...

2 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

Hey Brigette!

I'm doing a garden, too! I started one last year, but it didn't produce much for several reasons (one being I fell and was on crutches for most of the summer). We started our raised beds without spending too much monies. Cedar is naturally rot-resistant, so we used cedar planks for our raised beds. Other treated woods can seep chemicals into your soil. Yuck! And we used a soil combination of 1 part manure, 1 part peat moss, and 1 part organic compost. I put all the details on my blog here: http://makinbeeswax.blogspot.com/2010/03/starting-spring-garden.html. Maybe we'll both get lots of yummy food this year!

paula said...

love this idea! I so want to do this once we have the space! I do love all my herbs mixed in with our flowers though!